Saturday, April 21, 2012

Chap. 2: The Catch

Chapter 2:

"Hey babe. You still at the studio?"

"Yea, is everything okay? Your back still hurt?"

"Only a liddle." She lied. Her back had been aching since the morning and it wasn't getting any better. Drake wanted to stay home with her, but Nicki convinced him to go. 

"I could come home now if you want." He suggested.

"No, no. Stay. Everything's good. We're fine. I only called to tell you to pick up some more pickles and a carton of vanilla ice cream. We're almost out." Nicki spooned out a few more pre-sliced pickles from the jar, topping her ice cream with them. "Get the big cartoon please."

"Alright, no problem. You sure everything's okay?"

"Yesss Aubrey. Everything's fine, honey. Haha, you can't leave me alone for two seconds without asking that. Stop worrying, Nicki good." She smiled to herself, taking a bite of her pickles and ice cream.

"And you're right. I can't go two seconds without asking that. I'm just making sure my babies are okay."

"And your babies ARE okay. Now go. Back to work please. I don't wanna hold you up any longer."

"You're not."

"Oh whatever. I'll call you if we need anything else. Stop worrying zaddy."

"Haha, I can't promise. But talk to you later, bae. Love you."

"Love you too, muah!"

"Ha, bye."

"Byyye!" She sang, hanging up her cellphone and grabbing the remote control. She flipped through the guide until she found what was worth watching. Forensic Files.

About a few minutes into the show, Nicki had to use the bathroom. She slid to the edge of the couch, both hands on either side of her, and raised up slowly, belly first. When she successfully made it up, she waddled to the bathroom holding her womb and lower back. Drake thought she was the cutest thing waddling around the house; her now eight month belly protruding forward. He smiled whenever she walked into the room. Nicki glowed wherever she went, no matter her mood or the time of day. Lately, all she did was sleep, pee, shower and eat. Of course she was no longer exercising with her husband and their dog, Catrina, but sleeping in as he went about with what had become routine. Sometimes Nicki would get up early to watch the two run around the track, but that became rare the more her womb grew.

It was now mid afternoon so Nicki was already dressed; her hair up in a messy bun with her bangs cascading over her forehead and wearing a grey wife beater with a pair of Drake's navy blue basketball shorts. Although it was cold and nearing winter, their Toronto home was nice and toasty. It looked picture perfect topped with a layer of snow on the roof and lawn. When Nic emerged from the lavatory she headed for the kitchen, picking her empty ice cream bowl and pickle jar up on the way. Catrina was on her heels. Nicki rinsed the bowl and spoon then loaded them into the dishwasher with a few other used dishes. She started the cycle and moved toward the pantry, opening it to reveal what seemed like an endless surplus of snacks. Nicki picked over bags of chips, cookies, and even her cranberries and almonds. She couldn't stand how they tasted to her now. Failing to find food she wanted, Nicki made her way to the freezer. She pulled out a bag of Tyson's chicken strips and made a dissatisfied face.

"These aren't the spicy ones." She said aloud. Catrina looked up at her, licking out her tongue. Nicki held the bag and searched the freezer for the spicy chicken strips. "I know his ass better not have hid them." She mumbled, becoming irritated. Drake had warned her about eating spicy foods while pregnant because they gave her heartburn, but she didn't care. If she wanted it, she wanted it. He knew how hard headed and stubborn she could be so he purposely misplaced all things spicy to keep her from eating them.

"Ugh… just great." She sighed, sitting the bag on the nearest counter. Nicki began to remove all the frozen foods from the freezer. Out came the carton of Drake's ice cream, Eggo waffles, packaged breakfast meats, tv dinners and whatever else was in her way. After a minute or two, she found what she was looking for stuffed all the way in the back. "Onika wins again." She smirked and reached for the bag.

Nicki warmed four spicy strips in the oven while she put the frozen foods back in the freezer. When all was done, she placed her strips on a pink plate with a glob of mayonnaise on the side for dipping and headed into the living room with Catrina close by.

"What is it girl?" Nicki asked, positioning herself on the sofa. Catrina tilted her head, watching Nicki eat. "Well ya can't be hungry because I already fed you."
The dog whimpered as Nicki continued to eat the spicy chicken strips. "What?" She asked with a giggle. Catrina sighed and laid down next to her owners' pink, slippered feet.

Around the third strip, Nicki began to feel a little discomfort. Her back was still bothering her and now her chest. She soon diagnosed the burning sensation as heartburn. Nicki set the half-finished strip on her plate and called it quits. Instead of finishing her food, she dumped it and hand washed her dish. About an hour later, the burning subsided. Nicki was now laying on the couch with a heating pad on her lower back. She was experiencing a dull pain that seemed to envelop the entirety of her small frame. She'd had back pain plenty times so not thinking much of it, she slept it off. Or tried too. Nicki was tired, indeed, but the wavering pain wouldn't let her sleep. She closed her eyes and tried to drift off again, but couldn't. To ease the pain, she shifted her position a little, yet she didn't feel any relief. "Oh my God… what the fuck…" Nicki groaned, tugging the cord out of the socket and tossing the heating pad on the coffee table; it wasn't doing anything for her. She sat up, on the edge of the sofa, and held her womb. It too began to ache. Worried, Nicki reached for her cellphone and dialed Drake. He answered on the first ring.

"Is everything okay??"

"Yes… No… I, I don't know."

"What do you mean, Nic? What's wrong?"

"Baby my back is killing me and it hasn't stopped hurting since this morning. I tried the heating pad, but it didn't do shit. In fact, I feel worse. My whole body hurts."

"Whoa, Onika slow down. I'm on my way. Are you in labor?"

"I don't know. My water didn't break or anything. It breaks before contractions, right?" She asked, voice heavy with uncertainty.

"I thought the doctor said it breaks after?"

"Aw fuck. Aubrey I don't know. I don't know! Oh my God… I don't fucking know." Nicki began to panic, breathing heavily with all kinds of thoughts racing through her mind.

"I'm gonna need you to calm down for me, okay? I'm getting in the car now. I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Okay, alright… Is it still snowing?"

"Yea, but I'll be fine. And I think you're right. Your water should break first, but it didn't so you're good. I'm gonna need you to stay in one spot though, okay? And try not to move so much. I don't want anything to cause it to break before I get there."

"Okay. Hurry please. I'm not feeling any better."

"I'm driving as fast as I can, baby. I promise I'll be there soon. Thirty minutes tops. Need me to stay on the phone with you?"

"No. I just wanna lay here on the couch."

"Alright. If anything happens, and I mean ANYTHING happens, and you feel like you're in trouble and need help or if your water breaks, please call the paramedics before you call me. That's all I ask. You and our babies health come before anything, including me."

"Yes Aubrey. I promise." She sighed, laying back on the couch. "Just hurry please. Be careful."

"I will. I love you guys."

"We love you too."

"See you shortly."

"Kay. Bye baby." Nicki hung up, throwing her arm over her face. She slowly breathed in and out to calm herself. "Everything's gonna be fine Onika…" She pulled her shirt up over her belly, exposing her stomach, and began to rub her womb with both hands. The pains were intensifying, making her more uncomfortable. Nicki then experienced a sudden pop which was as audible as it felt. She froze and opened her eyes with a quickness. She looked down at her belly wondering what had just happened. After a few minutes with no result, she figured it was nothing serious. She turned onto her left side for comfort, feeling for a pillow to lie her head on. Only a couple seconds passed when Nicki felt the urge to pee. She then started to feel something wet trickle down her thigh. "You've gotta be kidding me…" She rose from the couch as quickly as a pregnant woman could and started toward the bathroom. "Nooo!" She frowned. "I'm really pissing on myself. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God." She said aloud, in disbelief, while the trickling continued. As she made it to their bedroom, she was halted by a sudden gush. Frozen in place with eyes wide, Nicki's inner legs were now soaked. "That's not piss………… Oh God…… Um……" Breathing heavily, but trying not to panic, Nicki spoke to herself for reassurance. "Your phone, Onika. Get your phone." She doubled back to the living room to retrieve her Blackberry. Before she could reach the couch she was struck by a sharp pain. Nicki was immediately thrown to her hands and knees. She clenched her stomach while gritting her teeth with eyes shut tight. The pain grew as her tolerance for it shrunk. "HHMMMMMMM!!!" She hummed, nearing tears. "Ohhh Goood!! Nooooo!! Nooo!!" She begged, shaking her head with tears streaming down her cheeks. Nicki was experiencing her first ever contraction and the pain was unbearable. It lasted almost an entire minute. When it stopped, she crawled her way into the living room, grabbed her phone off of the coffee table and started dialing.

"Hello?!"

"BABY! I need you! Please hurry up!! Where are you?!?" She frantically spoke into the phone, her words running together.

"I'm about to turn onto the highway, I'll be there soon. Are you in labor yet?? Did you call 911??"

"Yes and no!"

"What???"

"I'm in labor, Aubrey!!! My water broke and I've already had my first contraction!"

"Jesus Christ…" He said under his breath. "Well the ambulance is on their way, right???"

"I didn't call them yet."

"ONIKA?! Wha- I- WHY?!?!"

"Don't yell at me, okay?!" She cried. "I'm sorry, I got scared. I didn't know who else to call." She admitted, wiping away her tears.

"911!!!!" He quickly shot back, getting almost as frantic as she was.

"Stooop!!" She whined with teary eyes.

"Baby, I'm sorry. I'm, I'm sorry. Please, just call them. Right now. Just call the— wait, no… I'll call them. I'll call. I'm gonna leave you on the phone. Do NOT hang up for any reason."

"Okay." She nodded with a sniffle. 

Drake clicked over and quickly dialed 911.

"911. What's your emergency?"

"Yea, I need an ambulance at 1116 Bornun Way IMMEDIATELY. My wife is in labor. She just called me in a panic and her water has already broken and everything."

"Okay sir. I take it she's home alone?"

"Yes. All alone. We have a dog, but I doubt that matters."

"No. It does. Are you on your way to her right now?"

"Of course. I just hit traffic so you may get to her before I do. Please hurry ma'am."

"Ambulance is already on the way."

"Okay. Great. Thank you so much." Drake clicked back over to Nicki. "Nic?"

"Yea, I'm here."

"The ambulance is on their way now. They will probably get to you before I do."

"But Aubrey? I want you with me."

"It's not about me right now Onika. I need you and our baby safe. Is your overnight bag ready?"

"Um, yea. It's in our room."

"Okay, if you can, get it and—" Drake was interrupted by police sirens. He looked into his rear view mirror and saw red and blue lights in the distance. "Um, get the bag and put it by the door." He pulled over to the side of the road to let the cop pass.

"Okay. I'm getting it now."

The cop pulled over too. "What the fuck?"

"Excuse me?"

"No, not you baby. Uh…" He tried to think of something other than the truth to tell her. He didn't want her to freak out. "Nothing. I just did something stupid… Hey babe? Can you hold on for just a sec?"

"Yea."

Drake put his phone on mute and sat it in the cup holder as he watched the policeman step out of his car and approach his white Phantom. The cop knocked on the window signaling Drake to roll it down. He did.

"Can I help you officer?"

The cop peeked into Drake's car, trying to inspect it with his eyes. "Do you know how fast you were going, sir?"

"Really. I don't have time for small talk. My wife is—"

"Lemme see your license and registration please."

"Come on man. My wife is in labor! Don't do this to me."

"Is she in the car with you?"

"No. But I—"

"License and registration."

Drake's temper grew large. He flared his nostrils and gave the cop a dirty look. "Fuck you." He rolled his window up and sped off, almost running over the cops foot.

"HEY?!" The officer yelled after him. He then ran back to his car and hopped in. The sirens began to blare once more and without looking, the policeman pulled out onto the icy road. Before he could get anywhere, his vehicle was slammed into by a speeding ambulance.

  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦

"AUBREY?! WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO THIRTY MINUTES TOPS?!?!?"

"Onika, baby, breathe. Please. I'm driving as fast as I can, but these roads are slick. Just breathe."

"Fuck those got damn breathing exercises Aubrey. I swear to God! No, I don't swear. I don't swear." Nicki was becoming more and more irritable. Her contractions were quickening and getting stronger with each one. "Hurry the fuck UP!!! The ambulance isn't even here yet!!"

"What do you mean they're not there?!? They should've BEEN there!"

"THEY'RE NOT HERE!!"

"Okay… for one thing, I'm gonna need you to stop yelling at me like that. Secondly, please pleeease calm down before your blood pressure rises or something. I don't need you upset."

Nicki didn't respond.

"Hello???" He heard what started off as a small whimper turn into a low cry.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it." She cried.

"It's okay. Stop crying. Hopefully they'll be there soon."

"Hopefully…" She said breathlessly.

"Nic? You okay?" He was answered by a loud hum. "Nicki??" What had been a hum turned into a loud scream. Drake held the phone a little ways from his ear until the noise stopped. "Onika?"

"Hmm???"

"How far are they apart?"

"I don't know." She answered, out of breath.

"You're not keeping track??"

"I don't know."

"Well how long are they lasting?"

"I don't know."

Drake sighed and pressed harder on the gas.

"Hurry please. I don't know how long I can hold on."

"What? No. Don't talk like that. We're gonna get you to the hospital, okay? I'm almost there. I may end up driving you there myself. Please time your contractions for me."

"Alright Aubrey. I will… I can't believe this is all really happening… We're really gonna be parents…"

"Yea… kinda crazy isn't it?" He smiled.

"Mhm." She smiled too.

"Is the front door unlocked?"

"No."

"Alright. Stay where you are. I'll just use my key." He said, pulling into their drive way. "Where's Catrina?"

"She's right here. She's been under me all day."

"Mkay." Drake cut the engine and jogged to the front door. "Where are you?"

"Living room."

Once inside, Drake hurried to the living room. He hung up when he saw her laying on the floor. "Um… why are you on the floor?"

Nicki opened her eyes to look at him. "Whoa… I didn't even hear you come in." She took the phone from her ear and hung up.

Drake advanced toward her to help her up. "So you're on the floor because?"

"It's comfortable Aubrey. That's why. That's why I'm on the floor. I mean, it's not like I was having excruciating contractions or anything. That'd be insane, right?"

He side eyed her as he helped her onto the couch. "Alright. Maybe that was a dumb question… where are your snow boots?"

"They should be by the front door."

Drake raced to the front door. He grabbed her snow boots and her OVO/Canada Goose parka from the coat rack. Nicki had already changed her clothes so now she was in sweatpants and sweatshirt. Drake put her boots on for her and helped her into her coat.

"Okay. Is that it?"

"Yea. Can you get that notebook please?" She pointed to a red, spiral book on the coffee table.

"What is it?" Drake asked, picking it up and flipping through it.

"I wrote the times in there. We need to leave like right now."

"Come on." He took her by the hand and lead her toward the front door. Before they even reached it, Nicki stopped abruptly. Drake looked back at her when he felt her come to a halt, her grip on his hand tightening. "Nic come on. Whatever you forgot, leave it. We gotta go."

She looked up at him, fright pooling in her wide eyes. "We're not gonna make it." She whispered, her voice quivering with fear. Nicki squeezed his hand harder as another contraction began. Drake had no clue what to do. Should he still put her in the car and risk having the baby on the way there? Or should they stay and wait for their promised ambulance? His mind filled with tons of questions and no answers. Everything seemed to drone around him. He was trapped deep in his own thoughts. Nicki quickly broke the silence. Her humming fading into a highly audible volume. "Ohhh God! Nooo, pleeeaase?!" She begged in a panicked state.

Drake quickly decided their fate and moved into action. "Nicki sit down."

"Nooo!!! We need to get to the hospital Aubrey! We need to gooo!!" She yelled in pain.

"Sit down Onika. Like you said, we're not gonna make it. And our baby isn't gonna be born on the road. I'm not havin that. So please, jus sit on the floor for me."

Nicki gave in and let him help her to the floor. She began to cry as he started to remove her coat. "I don't wanna do this anymore, Drake… Please just make it all stop… I'm not ready."

He looked her in the face and could tell she was tired. But he couldn't let her give up. The baby was on it's way whether she was ready or not.

"I wish I could just take all the pain away. I really do, baby. I promise you I would if I could… I'm gonna need you to stay strong for me though, okay? I know you can do it. You're my little warrior king remember?" He asked, removing her shoes. "You're stronger than anybody, right?"

Nicki nodded her head. "I am."

"Yea… you are. And you always protect your kingdom, right? No matter how big the war?"

"I do." She sniffled.

"Right. You do. And who always comes out on top?" He asked, removing her sweatpants.

"Me."

"Yea babe. You… and you're able to do that all on your own, but guess what? I'm here with you, okay? We're gonna get through this war together and come out on top with a beautiful, healthy baby girl or boy. Sounds good, right?"

"Yes." She nodded.

Drake wiped the tears away from her face. "That's my girl." He removed his coat and rolled up his sleeves. "I'll be right back. I'm gonna go call your doctor and let her know what's up. Yell for me if anything happens."

Nicki nodded and rested her head back against the wall, closing her eyes. She softly, almost inaudibly, began to sing an old hymn. "This little light of mine… I'm gonna let it shine… ohh, this little light of mine… I'm gonna let it shine… let it shine, let it shine, let it… shine." She yawned after the last word and started to drift off. Minutes later, she was awakened by another contraction. "AAUUUBREEEEYY?!?!" She screamed, pulling her knees up toward her shoulders. He came running to her, near the front door, with an armload of towels and a blanket. He dropped them near her as she reached out for his hand. He extended it to her as he knelt down to her level.

"I NEED TO PUUUUSH!!!"

Drake's eyes grew wide. "No baby, wait! DON'T push!!!"

She took a breath. "Aaaaaaaarrggggghhhhhh!!!!" Beads of sweat began to form on her face as she squeezed his hand. Her bangs were practically glued to her forehead. Once her contraction ceased, she stopped pushing and began to breathe easier.

"Onika please don't push. We don't know if you're dialated enough sweetie. I don't want you hurt yourself or the baby, alright?"

Nicki shot him a mean look and replied through clenched teeth. "My contractions are minutes apart. If I wasn't dialated enough, I don't think my body would've had the urge to PUSH!" She snatched her hand away from his and wiped her sweat.

"………well… even if that was the real thing, I don't think our baby could've gotten through those." He pointed to her underwear. She reached down to take them off, but Drake stopped her. "Hold on." He searched through the pile of towels to find a few for her to sit on.

"What are all those for?"

"You. Lift up, if you can." Nicki did as he ordered and he slid some towels under her, straightening them out as he went. He then removed her panties.

"What did the doctor say when you called?"

"She told me to call an ambulance and I told her I'd already done that. Then she told me to keep my hands clean at all times and that we'd need plenty of towels. She said to keep timing your contractions and if the baby got here before the paramedics that I should wrap it up to keep it warm. Hence the blanket."

Nicki stared at him blankly. She could feel her every heart beat, hear every thud/thumping sound it made. She was more scared now than she thought she could ever be. "That's it?" She managed to utter.

"Yea babe." He reached out and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "That's it…"

"But what about all the tools?? The equipment, the monitors??? The, the doctors?! THE EPIDURAL?!?!" Nicki's breathing quickened.

"There isn't much else to a home birth, I guess. But baby please, don't panic. Just breathe."

"Don't tell me not to fucking panic! I'm sitting on a fucking hardwood floor, Drake! In my own got damn home!! I should be at a fucking hospital in some wheeled bed with railings!! Not on some got damn floor!!"

Drake took a breath, trying to stay calm. "Listen to me, neither of us knew it would all go down like this. But it's going to be okay cuz we're gonna get through it."

"Stop feeding me bullshit." She cried. "You don't know that. Neither of us know that." Nicki broke eye contact with him and looked down at her belly. She slightly bit her top lip as she lifted her sweatshirt and slowly rubbed her stomach in circular motions. "I'm scared." She admitted, not looking up.

Drake placed his hand over one of hers. He spoke in a soothing voice. "Hey…… to be honest with you…… I'm scared too."

Nicki looked up at him.

"But I have faith. Don't question God's plans for us. Just trust Him."

"I… I have faith… it's just… we're not doctors, Drake. Neither one of us have ever been through this before. We… we don't know what to expect." Nicki shut her eyes, letting the tears fall.

Drake reached up, placing his free hand around the nape of her neck. He touched his forehead with hers and also closed his eyes. He then took in a breath, holding onto Nicki's hand as it rested against the side of her belly. "Dear Father…" He began, breathing out through his nose. "…I thank you for blessing us with this child and I ask that you please…" He continued on. Praying to God to watch over them all. Asking Him to keep them safe and let the delivery go smoothly. Thanking Him for all his blessings. He began to speed the prayer up once he heard a change in Nicki's breathing pattern.

"Drake…" She whispered.

"…Amen." He lifted his head and opened his eyes to see her clenching her teeth, face reddening.

"Take this off!" She shouted, tugging at the black sweatshirt. Her eyes were shut tight.

Drake moved fast. He removed her shirt as she began to hum.

"Breathe, baby. Breathe."

"AUBREY SHUT UP!!" She screamed, attempting to push again. She squeezed his hand so hard, the tips of his fingers were beginning to turn red. "HHHMMMMMMMMM!!!!"

In ready position, kneeling in front of Nicki, Drake looked down. "Baby I don't see anything happening, I'm gonna need you to push harder, okay?"

"I'M PUSHIIIIIINNNG!!!!" She screamed, her chin pointing down, knees up. "AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

Drake had never seen or heard her in so much pain. He felt helpless knowing there was nothing he could do to make it stop. He was trying his best to soothe her and keep her calm. After her contraction ended, he smoothed her hair back and kissed her forehead. "You're doin great, baby." He pulled back to look at her, her face wet with sweat. Drake wiped as much as he could of it away. "How long til the next one?"

"Two minutes…" She answered breathlessly.

"Okay. Do you need anything? Pillows or something?"

"Pillows…"

"Alright. I'll be right back." He rose quickly and dashed toward their bedroom. He grabbed two pillows from their bed and ran back to her. "Where do want'em?"

"My back…" Nicki leaned forward a little and Drake placed them both between her and the wall.

"Is that good?"

"Yea…" She sighed. "Thank you, Drake."

He glanced at her, still fixing her pillows. "No problem, babe."

"No… for everything. I don't know what I'd do without you. I love you so much."

"I love you too, Onika. I'll always be here for you. You and our baby mean everything to me. I already love him and he's not even here yet."

"Or her." Nicki added, with a smile.

Drake grinned. "Right. Or her. Son or daughter, I already love our baby."

Nicki let out a small giggle. "So do I." Her smile turned into a frown as she felt another contraction coming on. "Drake?" She called, breathing in and out. He quickly moved in front of her as she sat up a bit, furrowing her brow.

"You got it, Nic. Just keep breathing." He told her, looking into her eyes as they did the exercises in sync. "You're doin great."

Nicki followed his instruction as he continued to encourage her until the pain increased. "Drake please be quiet, don't talk to me right now."

"I'm only tryna help you, Nic. Can you push?"

"SHUT UUUUPP!!!!" She yelled as she began to push, holding onto her knees.

"Oh shit…" Drake muttered as he looked down. He made a disgusted face as the top of the baby's head began to peek. "Uh… keep pushin Nicki."

"Uuuggghhhh!!!!"

The baby's head surfaced a little more. Drake was in position, his hands ready to receive. "Come on baby, keep goin. I can already see the head."

Exhausted, Nicki stopped pushing to catch her breath. Drake reached over to rub her leg to comfort her. "You're doin just fine."

Nicki quickly smacked his hand away. "Don't touch me."

Surprised, Drake immediately held his hands up in surrender. "Sorry."

"Ooohhhhh!!!" Nicki started pushing again. For the next twenty minutes, she pushed on and off, stopping to catch her breath in between. Only the top of the baby's head was showing.

"Come on baby, push harder. The head's almost out."

Nicki took in a deep breath and pushed. More of the baby's head slowly started to emerge.

"Hey," Drake started to smile. "you're doin it. The baby's coming, Nic." She pushed once more and the childs head was completely out. "Oh my God…" Drake instinctively slipped his hands under the baby's slippery head to support it. "Onika the head is out, sweetie." He looked up at her sweating face with the goofiest grin. "Wanna feel it?"

Hand shaking, Nicki reached down to feel the top of her baby's head. "Oh my God…" She whispered breathlessly. "Oh my God…" She repeated, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Yea, babe. I'm gonna need you to keep pushing, alright? Can you do that for me?"

Nicki nodded her head and continued to push. A few minutes later, Drake helped guide out the baby's shoulders. "You got it babe. Keep pushin."

"Uuuuuuhhhhh!!!! Aubrey, I ca— I can't!!!"

"YES! You can! Come on, baby. You got it. The baby's practically out."

Nicki pushed… and pushed… and pushed. Another twenty minutes went by before the newborns entire body slid into Drake's bare hands. He stared at it's little body for a moment then looked up at Nicki. "It's a boy, sweetheart." He said with a smile. The infant immediately started to cry.

Wide and teary eyed, Nicki reached for her son. Drake passed him off and watched his wife cradle their firstborn in her arms. "Ohh," she sniffled. "Hi sweetie… hi." She looked at Drake with a teary grin then back at their child. She kissed him on his forehead, marveling over his small body. "Ohh my God." She cried. "Drake, he's so tiny."

"Wow…" He smiled, still in shock that he delivered his own child. His son. He couldn't believe it. Remembering the doctor's orders, Drake helped Nicki deliver the afterbirth then reached for a towel. He dried their son off while Nicki held him, then wrapped the baby boy in a mint, green blanket. "Look at all that hair."

Nicki smiled. "I know right? It's so soft… and curly just like yours."

"Haha, yea… just like mine." Drake smiled, staring down at their son. "Can I?"

Nicki handed the boy to his father. Drake's face lit up. "Hey man. It's me, daddy." He glanced over at a yawning Nicki, her eyes glossy. "Ha, don't fall asleep on me, Nic. He just got here." He smiled then looked back down at the baby. "We still hafta name you don't we? Hey Nic, what should we call him?" He looked up at her, her face paling. "Nic?"

"Hm?" She answered, eyes half open.

"What's his name?"

"Whose?" She asked faintly, not looking at either of them. Her eyes roaming as she looked upward.

Drake furrowed his brow. "The baby, Onika…"

She half smiled. "The baby…"

Drake reached up to feel her forehead. "Sweetie?" He ran his hand down the side of her face, his diaphragm filling with worry. "Onika, sweetheart?" Nicki sighed and licked her lips. Drake looked down and noticed she'd lost a lot of blood. His heart began to beat fast. "Aw shit…" He quickly looked around him in search of the house phone. When he saw it, he reached for it and dialed 911.

"911. What's your emergency?"

"Yea, uh my wife. I, I just delivered my son and my wife, she's lost a lot of blood. Uhh, she she, um, she's kinda out of it right now and I really really really need an ambulance." He spoke frantically into the receiver.

"Ok, sir? Where are you?"

"Home! We're home. Uhh, 1116 Bornun Way. I called for one earlier and nobody has shown up. I don't know what the hell is goin on, but I NEED an ambulance."

"Alright, we're gonna get to you as fast as we can. Is the baby breathing?"

"Yes, he's fine. He's crying and everything. Um, the cord is still attached though."

"Attached to the placenta?"

"Yes."

"Okay, you need to cut that."

"With what?!"

"Sir, calm down please. I'll walk you through it. Do you have scissors or shears?"

"Scissors."

"Okay. Are they on you right now?"

"No. They're in the kitchen. I can't just leave him here."

"And you're not. You're gonna take him and the afterbirth with you."

"But what about my wife? I'm not just gonna leave her here."

"Sir, you're gonna have to. She's still breathing right?"

"Yea, she is."

"Ok, head into the kitchen now. Be careful."

"I'll be right back, honey." He kissed her forehead. "I love you." Drake quickly made his way to the kitchen. He found the scissors. "Now what?"

"I'm gonna need you to clamp the cord."

"Clamp it??"

"Ok. Forget it. We're gonna hafta improvise… Do you have shoelaces?"

"Um, yea?"

"Okay, take your shoelaces and tie them around the middle of the cord leaving about an inch between the laces."

Drake carefully placed his son on the kitchen table and removed his shoelaces. He then did what he was told. "Okay. I did that. What now?"

"Now when the cord stops pulsating, you're gonna cut in between the two shoelaces."

"Alright." Drake waited for the umbilical cord to stop beating. When it did, he cut it. "Okay, it's cut."

"Alright. Now leave the shoelace tied around the bit still connected to your baby. That's gonna fall off on its own."

"Okay." Drake placed the scissors down on the kitchen table and swaddled the baby. "What do I do with the placenta?"

"Do you wanna keep it?"

"Ew. No?"

"Ok well throw it away."

Drake double bagged the afterbirth and threw it away. He then made his way back to Nicki. "Onika?" He called.

Nicki looked around as if she were in a daze. She saw the baby in Drake's arms and just stared at it. He knelt down in front of her. "Hey, stay with me, okay? The ambulance is on the way." Nicki didn't respond. "Nicki?" He called, waving his hand in front of her face. Still no response. "What do I do about my wife? She's not responding to me."

"Is she still breathing?"

"Yes. She's still breathing."

"Okay, great. Keep her awake. Don't let her close her eyes."

"What happens if she does?"

"A result neither of us want…"

Drake's heart dropped into his stomach. This was all too real for him. The woman who he was going to spend the rest of his life with was now in danger of losing hers. He couldn't wrap his head around the idea that she'd be taken away from him and now their newborn son. "W- where's the ambulance?" Drake managed to get out.

"Almost there, sir."

"Alright…" Drake reached for a towel with his free hand. He wiped the sweat from her face then cleaned her up down below. He looked up at her and noticed her eyelids getting heavier. "Nic?" He called. "Baby stay with me, please. Please, please stay with me." Drake took the phone from between his ear and shoulder and set it down. He reached for Nicki's hand and kissed the back of it, holding on as he looked into her empty eyes. Her breathing became shallow as her lids began to close. "Onika, no. No, no, no, no, no. Come on baby. Wake up." Drake was now sweating profusely. Worry stamped all over his face. "Onika, baby, come on. Get up." He took his hand and rubbed the side of her face. "Wake up, honey. Please. The ambulance is almost here. I promise we're gonna get you two to the hospital and everything's gonna be okay. Just please stay awake." Nicki still didn't respond. "Oh my God… this isn't happening." Drake smoothed his hand over his hair. "This isn't happening." He repeated, tears stinging his eyes. "This is not happening. No…" He ran his hand over his face. "Onika, please??" He begged. Her chest stopped rising. Drake went cold all over as his body froze. "No…" He immediately placed his hand on her shoulder and began to shake her. "Nicki pleease?!" No response. "No… no…" Tears raced down his face. Drake grabbed the phone, the dispatcher was still there. "She's not breathing!!!! She just stopped breathing!!!!!"

"The ambulance should be there now, sir. Do you hear any sirens?"

Drake took the phone away from his ear. The sirens were blaring loud as fists knocked hard against the front door. He threw the phone on the floor and got up swiftly. He yanked the door open, baby still in his arms. "She's not breathing!" Drake said in a panic as paramedics rushed in. As quickly as they could, the medics lifted Nicki's limp body from the floor onto the bright, orange gurney. Drake watched with fear coursing through his body. "Is she gonna be okay???" He asked, his voice catching in his throat.

"I don't know, sir." One of the men answered. Another covered Nicki in a warm blanket as they rolled her out of the house. A third walked over to Drake. "We're gonna need to take the baby and make sure everything's okay."

Drake kissed his son's forehead before he passed him to the medic. "Don't let anything happen to them…… please……… they're everything to me…"

The medic nodded once and headed out of the house, leaving Drake standing in his front doorway, watching them load his wife and son into the back of an ambulance.

Please comment.

1 comment: